Any mom has been there, that moment when you have the realization “Oh my goodness I am really a Mom.” Even though I have now been a mom for five and a half years I had one of those moments on Saturday. Maybe I should actually call it, “things you never thought you would do before you became a mom.” Here is the list I have come up with so far.
- Go potty with a child some how attached to you – front pack, back pack or sitting on your lap (Yes I have done all 3, because you know how gross those public bathrooms can be and the last thing I want is a toddler crawling around the floors.)
- Realize that you have left the house with baby throw-up/spit-up down the front, when you have cleaned everyone else up – baby wipes are amazing, but I should keep a change of clothes in my car for me too.
- You are the one with the screaming child in the checkout line at Target/grocery store and you can’t get them to stop, no matter what you do. All you want to do is get through the line as fast as possible and get out the door, because you can feel every set of eyes on you.
- Wish that every restaurant/deli had a drive through, because either the baby is asleep and you are starving or you are just tired of hauling the kids in and out of the car. If we had a sandwich place that had a drive through I would be there everyday. Come on Subway don’t you people have kids?
- Learned the fine art of bribery and know when to pull it out. If you use it to often it loses its impact, but if you use it selectively it can be extremely effective.
- Your car is stocked with any or all of the following: diapers, wipes, Kleenex, paper towels, extra clothes, snacks and water.
- You realize that you have spent more time in your car than at your house. I am only getting to this phase, but have already seen glimpses of it. So my car also has playing cards, a book, smart phone and puzzle book for me when I am waiting at school with a sleeping child in the car.
I know there are more of these, so please feel free to add yours in the comments.