Another Goodbye
family, Mom

Another Goodbye

Today the boys and I flew home from our two week visit to see family in northern California. We had a great trip, enjoying the summer weather (not too hot thank goodness), friends, family and being on the Ranch. As always it was hard to say goodbye, but unfortunately that is an aspect of not living close to family.

Yes, we could live farther away, like across the country, but it still isn’t easy even if the flight is short, especially for times like this when we don’t have our next trip down planned. Luckily my sister, brother-in-law and nephew will be coming to visit in a few weeks, so that gave the boys something to focus on. However we don’t have a time scheduled to see my parents or Jim’s family.

While I love where we live it is getting more difficult for me to be away from my family and raise the boys away from their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. The house I grew up in was only 50 feet from my Dad’s parents and most of my Dad’s side were only five miles away. My mom actually ran a mini daycare for my cousins and us, so needless to say we were close. This provides the basis for my strong sense of family and my will to be close by.

I had hoped that Jim and I would have been able to move back down by now, but there hasn’t been an opportunity to make it possible. Don’t get me wrong if we did move there would be a lot I would miss about the Seattle area, but the pull of family is just too strong.

My sister and I are best friends, couple that with our children being close in age (Will and Oliver only five months apart) and I wish that we were within driving distance of them. She is pregnant (due on my birthday) and I would give anything to be able to be there when he is born. The cousins are as close as possible given we only see each other every few months. We are the only aunt and uncle her kids will have, because my brother-in-law is an only child. It is important to me that they know what a wonderful relationship that can be and we work hard at making the time for each other.

So as we get home today, it will be nice to sleep in our own beds and enjoy the Seattle summer (please oh please weather gods,) but we will miss Yaya, Papa, Auntie Steffi, Unkie Paul, Oliver, Grandma, Grandfather, Auntie Jean, Uncle Steve, Emily, Matt and Dan.

Do you live close to your family? How does it effect your relationship?

You may also like...

Popular Articles...

0 Comments

1. Kerri says:

Your childhood and family ranch sound so wonderful. My husband and I want to give our children experience with a strong community like yours–but don’t have any family of our own. It’s so important to childhood development to learn the tenets of community and interdependence; and I envy the opportunity you have to offer your children. There will probably never be a convenient time to go. So go now. Say “YES” to now.

Thanks for the great blog!

1. sarah says:

I am hopeful we will be able to go in a few years. What I have found is that we have built a family of friends up here to give the kids the feeling of closeness here. We work so hard on giving the boys a connection to the Ranch. They look forwrd to visiting and ask to go.

2. Oh I so get this. Right this moment, my daughter in law is in labor with my first granddaughter in Nebraska while I stay awake reading blogs in Florida. I wish I could be there to watch the boys at home, and then go visit her and see their little faces and take that princess in my arms. But…that is how life goes. So, I love the internet and skype and do my best to make sure I get there as often as I can.
    Thanks for sharing your post…nice to connect.

1. sarah says:

I hope you are able to go visit them soon. My mom was at the birth of both of my boys and my nephews. It is such a special time.

3. My sisters and brother and parents all live within 3 hours driving distance of one another. My family is a day’s drive away. I hate hate hate it. My husband and I built right next to my parents years ago and my kids could run across the lawn to grandma’s house for a cookie after school. One of my best memories is my middle one running across the alfalfa field to show her grandpa her report card. It tears me up being this far away.

1. sarah says:

I grew up right next to my grandparents and hope that we can have that for Jack and Will some day. Jim and I have been gifted a piece of property to build on someday. Hopefully we will be able to use it sooner then later.

4. We are blessed with living (almost) shouting distance away from my folks – and a quick drive away from the hubbies.
    I’ve never known it any other way. I imagine it would be difficult. Or a blessing on some days!

xo
    babymama

1. sarah says:

Having family close is such a blessing. I hope we are able to make the leap in a few years.

5. I can’t imagine living so far away from my family. I can totally understand how it would be hard and how much you would miss them. My family lives in the same neighborhood and I love it. Never in a million years did I imagine we’d all be so close. It’s only been in the last 5 years that everyone has come to where I am. It’s nice and the support is great.

I hope an opportunity surprises your family and you get to move back to California. I would *love* to live there.

1. sarah says:

You are so lucky to live so close. I would be happy to be within a couple of hours.

I am hopefully that we will find a way down there in a few years.

6. You are indeed lucky to have such a wonderful family, even if they are a little distance away. As older parents who had older parents, we have no such family support at any distance. My mother is the boys’ only remaining grandparent (my father & my husband’s mother passed on last year) and at 88 she is in my care and growing more frail. Our 9 year-old twins’ 1st cousins are all in their 30s.

I know you wish you could see your family more often, but at least they are there! Thanks so much for linking up with Blog Gems today. This is a wonderful community indeed.

7. Wow, your family is big. I have a small family in comparison and we also live miles away from them all. I guess I’m used to doing it all on my own but I would love to be nearer to them.

Visiting from Blog Gems.