What songs have defined points of time in your life? You know – the songs that take you back to a certain time in your life? For Monday Listicles, we were asked to write about those songs. Here is the soundtrack to my life (to date):
1. Lost in your eyes, Debbie Gibson – High School. I was a hopeless romantic and remember dancing around my living room singing this song, wishing I had a boyfriend to dance with.
2. I’m Free – The Soup Dragons – High School Graduation. We used to sit in the high school parking lot playing this on our car stereos dreaming of the freedom that college would afford us.
3. Entire album of August and Everything After, Counting Crows – College. My roommates and I would listen to this over and over again while we studied, especially for the dreaded physics tests during sophomore year.
4. Forever Young, The Pretenders (from With Honors) – College Graduation. I remember sitting in my room packing up my stuff to move back home listening to this over and over again.
clip from movie
5. Climb On, Shawn Colvin – Post -college. After breaking up with my college boyfriend of 3.5 years, this song brought me comfort as I was trying to find myself and where I was supposed to go with my life.
6. Searching My Soul, Vonda Shepard (Theme from Ally McBeal) – Moving to Seattle. After moving to Seattle to start a new life, I would belt this song out in my car as I drove across 520 to my first job here. I would meet Jim a few months later.
7. World on A String, Frank Sinatra – Our Wedding. This was our first dance song and we actually had a choreographed routine. Unfortunately Jim forgot the middle of the dance, but no one noticed.
8. Greatest Hits, ELO – Early Marriage. Whenever we were in the car, especially on our drives back and forth to California, we would listen to ELO.
Mr. Blue Skies video
9. Beautiful World, Colin Hay – Becoming a Mom. A friend of Jim sent us this CD when Jack was born. It is a beautiful song.
10. Country Strong, Gwyneth Paltrow (from Country Strong) – Now. Even though I am not a country music fan, this song speaks to me. I think it reminds me of my upbringing and that I am a strong person who can do anything she puts her mind to.