My office is the catch-all room for not only for my work, but also for crafts, sewing, scrapbooking, school supplies, household management and computer electronics. Each time I get it somewhat organized it only lasts for a week or two.
For my birthday I asked for a professional organizer to come and help me get the office straightened out. Even though I probably could have done it on my own, this way I had someone forcing me to take the time and work on it. In order to prep for her visit I finally cleaned out the files that had been building up for at least a year and a half.
My goals for the project were to:
- Create a place to store the boys’ school work when it comes home and a long-term storage solution for their art projects.
- Define places for the three computers.
- Clear enough space that I can hold meetings in my office instead of the kitchen table.
Kate from Eliminate Chaos came and spent four hours with me. We were able to work through most of the office and I had defined things to complete after she left. We were able to identify items that didn’t need to be stored in the office and moved those out to other locations.
One of her tips for me was to set aside time each week to maintain organization after the major push of the project is complete. She said an hour a week should be enough to work through things as they come up.
Some of my favorite changes we made are:
- Removed the shredder and added a bin to collect materials to be shredded. Once it is full then I will take it to the mobile shred truck in the area.
- Gathered and organized all of the scrapbook paper into one location.
- Created project bins on my craft shelves for any in process projects I have.
- Defined a file drawer for the boys’ schoolwork.
- Purchased a to-do file box that can move from my desk to counter for things I need to complete.
I hope by spending the time and energy to get this room finally organized that I can keep it that way for a while. The holidays will be a big test, but if I can make it through that then it should be good through anything.